Chapter 08

The reason for starting a blog is to get a wide variety in public feedback. I have my ideas and i love to share them, but if my opinion is wrong i would love to hear about it. Or maybe give me some more reasons to feel more confident with my opinion. Thanks!

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

I'm sad, I'm angry and ashamed...

Theo van Gogh was murdered today. Today is a dark page in Dutch democracy and the freedom of speech. Theo was a great controversive columnist and cinematographer.
At this moment of writing there are two minutes of silence for the man. And the main square in Amsterdam. The square is loaded with people. And in a way it is beautiful. But this has no effect on politics on the long run. Nothing will really change. And i feel ashamed to be Dutch. The idea of me leaving this country permanently is only strengthened. I don't like to live here anymore, and i just got another reason to leave. There aren't many countries that do better. But i will find that country.

Theo's words were not always what people wanted to hear. But it was his truth and in my opinion he was right a lot of the time. Controversy was his for debating. Get people to think about what is going on around them. I wish there more people as outspoken as he was.

Most likely Theo was murdered for his ideas about the Islam. He thought it was conservative, and yes he was right. His last short-film was made with a Dutch female ethnic islamic politcian. This film probably was the reason for his death. The film was called "submission" and shed some light on the rights of islamic women. Allah supposedly made men stronger so they could prtect their women. But the wife in this film would feel the strengt of her husband on her face at least once a week. One could see the brutality the man had used towards his wife. There were women shown with verses from the koran on their back. The verses were about the right women have, no rights. A brutal and shocking film of the truth. And in what world is it wrong to show the truth? A world that i do not want to live in.